We overeat on Thanksgiving Thursday. We overspend on Black Friday. We overspend some more on Cyber Monday.
Following a week of excess consumption, the recently established Giving Tuesday is like a warm shower the morning after sleeping in an outhouse. I highly encourage everyone to embrace this unique and much needed trend of #unselfie-ness.
Here are ten ways you can jump on this bandwagon of benevolence. Feel free to tweet the ways you can help:
- Buy groceries for a struggling single mother.
- Visit a hospital and pray with the sick and the dying.
- Spend time with the elderly living at a local care center.
- Volunteer at a homeless shelter.
- Teach ESL classes for refugees in your community.
- Sponsor a child.
- Donate money to aid victims of disaster.
- Tutor underprivileged youth.
- Give restaurant or grocery store gift cards to people living on the street.
- Write a letter to a prisoner.
The writer of Proverbs says, “Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it” (Prov. 3:27). We can’t do it all, but we can all do something, today and everyday.
For more on this topic, see my new book Ordinary: How to Turn the World Upside Down.