I. An Introduction to Galatians
1. Who Were the Galatians?
2. Why Did Paul Write Galatians?
- Undermined Paul’s Credibility
- Demanded Circumcision as a Condition for Salvation
- Required observation of Jewish Ceremonies and Ritual
- True Apostle
- Salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone, apart from works of the law.
- Urging Christians to live in the freedom of grace and life in the Spirit
3. Why Is Galatians So Important Today?
II. The Salutation to the Galatians (1:1-5)
- Divine Authority (1:1)
- The Gospel of Grace
Dimensions to the Gospel
Historical Dimension, “Christ died” “was raised”
Personal Dimension, “”for our sins to deliver us”
The Essence of Christ’s Death: Substitution
“The essence of sin is man substituting himself for God; the essence of salvation is God substituting himself for man.” (Stott)
The Effect of Christ’s Death: Freedom
Vertical Dimension, “according to the will of our God and Father to whom be the glory forever. Amen.”
- Faith Alone in Christ Alone
III. 4 Take Aways from Galatians
- Know the Gospel Thoroughly
- Believe the Gospel Truly
- Live in the Gospel Daily
- Spread the Gospel Faithfully