Yesterday I had an encouraging experience talking, via conference call, with Pastor Ronnie Floyd and fifteen young SBC leaders/pastors. The topic of conversation was related to the future of the SBC and the Great Commission Resurgence. I was very grateful to take part in the dialogue and give my support for the efforts of Pastor Floyd and others who desire to reach the masses of people around the world by being better stewards of our SBC resources.
- Do you realize that among the 340 million people living in North America, there are 258,000,000 people estimated to be lost and perishing?
- Do you realize in the seven states or conventions that cover Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, California, Washington, Oregon, and Canada, there is a population of 92 million plus people with at least 82% of them being lost? Do you realize that we have only 3,983 churches and congregations in this entire region and 2,276 of them are in the state of California?
- Do you realize that in the nine northeastern states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont, there is a population of 54,924,000 plus people with an estimated percentile of lostness of 83%, and we have only 1,068 churches and congregations to penetrate this lostness?
The report goes on…
We need to embrace the reality of lostness, but we must also grasp it in a global context.
- The United States comprises only 4.5% of the world’s population of 6.8 billion people.
- Of the world’s population, there are 5,845 people groups who have no access to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- From the 6.8 billion people in the world presently, 4 billion of them have little to no access to the gospel and 1.5 billion of these have never even had the possibility of hearing the name of Jesus and the message of the Good News.